The Treasurer is the Village’s Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for all financial aspects of the Village.
John J. McNulty III, Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org
20 Clinton Street
Green Island, NY 12183
Phone: (518) 273-2201
Fax: (518) 273-2235
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM and 1:30 to 4:30 PM.
Click HERE to view the proposed 2021-2022 General Fund, Water, Sewer and Section 8 budgets.
Collection of Water and Sewer Rents:
Water and Sewer billings are calculated quarterly. Bills are mailed out during the first week of February, May, August and November, and are due by the end of each month. Payments may be made at the Village Office. Check or money order are preferred to cash payment, which is discouraged, but accepted. Please make separate checks payable to the Green Island Water Department and the Green Island Sewer Department and return the bottom portion of your bill with your payment. If you have any questions regarding your bill, please contact Lynn McGivern or Heather Gregory at 518-273-2201.
Water and Sewer rates are as follows, effective November 1, 2018:
- Village taxes are mailed in the first week of June each year. The current taxes cover the period of June 1st through May 31st annually. Payments can be made from June 1st through July 1st without penalty. If the taxes are not paid by July 1st, then penalties will be assessed. Water and Sewer bills delinquent for a period of 90 days at May 31st will be relevied to your Village tax bill. If taxes (including relevies) are not paid by October 31st, the Village relevies them to Albany County on November 1st. The delinquent Village tax will become part of the Albany County tax bill on January 2nd of the following year.
- Payment of 2020 Village taxes may be made at Catskill Hudson Bank, 148 George Street, Green Island, NY 12183, during regular business hours. Money order or checks payable to the Village of Green Island are accepted. Cash is discouraged, but accepted.
- If you are mailing your payment, please send it to Village of Green Island, P.O. Box 1546, Green Island, NY, 12183.
- Your Village tax information may be obtained online at http://egov.basny.com/villageofgreenisland If you have any questions regarding your tax payment, please contact John J. McNulty III at (518) 273-2201.
- School tax information must be obtained through the Green Island Union Free School District at (518) 273-1422
- Green Island Town/County tax information must be obtained through the Town of Green Island at (518) 273-0661 or online at http://www.egov.basny.com/greenisland/.
Taxes- Frequently Asked Questions:
1) When are my taxes due?
Taxes are due by the close of business of the first business day of July. Taxes paid after the first business day in July are subject to interest and penalties.
2) Where can I pay my 2020 Village taxes?
Catskill Hudson Bank, 148 George Street, Green Island, NY 12183.
3) How can I pay my taxes?
Taxes may be paid by personal check, an official bank check or money order. Cash is discouraged but accepted. Checks should be made payable to the Village of Green Island.
4) May I pay my Village taxes in installments?
No, the entire tax bill (including delinquent water and sewer amounts) must be paid in one payment. Partial payments can’t be accepted. This is a state law requirement.
5) What should I do if I think there is an error in the taxable assessed value on my tax bill or if I have a question about an exemption (STAR, Veteran, etc.)?
Please contact Brad Canning, Village Assessor at (518) 273-2201.
6) How much penalty will I pay if I don’t pay my taxes by the first business day in July?
A 5% penalty is added for the first month plus an additional 1% for each month thereafter through October 31st. The penalty information is listed on the tax bill.
7) What happens if I don’t pay my taxes by November 1st?
Taxes that are not paid by November 1st are sent to Albany County for collection. You should contact Albany County at (518) 447-7071 to find out what is owed. The county immediately imposes an additional 7% penalty once the taxes are sent to them for collection.
8) What should I do if I don’t receive a tax bill?
You should contact Ted Koniowka, Village Tax Collector, immediately, at (518) 629-0368.
9) What are these other charges (re-levies) on my tax bill?
The Village re-levies delinquent water and sewer charges (more than 90 days past due) that are not paid by May 31.
10) What if I want to change the address my tax bill is sent to?
Please contact the Village Assessor at (518) 273-2201.