Maggie A. Alix, Director firstname.lastname@example.org
20 Clinton Street
Green Island, NY 12183
Phone: (518) 273-2201
The Department of Parks & Recreation strives to provide our residents with recreation opportunities through the creation of activities, facilities and community special events. We promote recreational opportunities for growth and enhancement by developing programs that promote citizen involvement and a strong sense of community. The Parks and Recreation staff is always working to help you and your families have fun! One important way we fulfill our goal is to ensure that parks, fields, courts and recreation facilities are safe and accessible for all citizens to enjoy.
2022 SUMMER EMPLOYMENT
The Recreation Department is accepting applications for summer employment. Due to budget constraints, summer jobs will be extremely limited. You may obtain an application HERE or at the Village Office. All applications must be returned to the Village Office by Friday, May 13th, no exceptions. Applicants must be 14 years old by July 1, 2022, to be eligible for employment.
The Village is also accepting applications for evening park staff. Applicants must be 21 yrs. of age or older, and available in the evenings from April-October.
2022 Summer Park Program
Please CLICK HERE for a Park Registration Form. All residents utilizing our parks and participating in our summer programs need to complete this form. One form per family is sufficient. Completed forms can be dropped off at the Village Office (via mail slot) or turned in to Park Staff.
Rules and Regulations
- Our parks are for Green Island Residents ONLY. Click here for a Resident Identification Card request form.
- Bicycle riding in park areas is prohibited; bikes are to be parked in designated areas. Helmets are mandatory.
- There are absolutely NO GLASS CONTAINERS allowed in the parks, in accordance with local law.
- There are no pets allowed in the parks in accordance with local law.
- No tree climbing
- No standing on swings, slides, or benches
- No running around wading pool area or climbing on center spray
- No bare feet! Proper footwear must be worn at all times!
- No throwing stones or sand
- No jumping off swings; only one person per swing at a time
- No climbing on swing bars
- Littering is strictly prohibited and is a major concern of ours in the parks. We ask that you use the provided trash cans and help keep our parks clean.
- Vandalism and graffitti are both crimes, and will be punishable to the fullest extent of the law. We have put a lot of effort into improving our parks, and we hope that residents can enjoy the facilities for their intent!
The Paine Street Park is our playground park. It is located at 200 Paine Street on the corner of George Street and Tibbits Avenue. The park is open to all Green Island residents from 8:00 AM until 9:00 PM. The park is equipped with a sprinkler and basketball courts, and is the location of our summer program. The summer program runs through July and August and is fully staffed to run activities from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM There is plenty of room to picnic, and fun for the whole family! Please click here for the registration form for the Summer Park Program.
Veterans Memorial Stadium, also known as the “Big Field,” has a regulation-size track, as well as baseball, soccer and softball fields. The stadium is the official home site for the Heatly Athletic program. Veterans Memorial Stadium is located on Tibbits Avenue off I-787 and neighbors the Green Island Little League. The stadium is open from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM daily.
River Park is the home of the Green Island Gazebo (GIG). During the summer it is where we hold the GIG Concert Series. We have a fantastic line-up of bands that play on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM. The GIG-A-BITES crew runs the concession so you can grab a bite to eat while you enjoy the show. It is located on Hudson Avenue, just north of Heatly School.
The WWI Memorial Park is located near 19 George Street. It contains a memorial in honor and rememberance of all WWI War Veterans as well as a memorial for those who perished in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
The Vietnam Memorial Park has a memorial situated in the park to honor and remember all Vietnam War Veterans, including William McNulty and Marl McCuthen, two Green Island residents who lost their lives in the Vietnam War. The Memorial is located on George Street under the Collar City bridge.
- Summer Park Program
- YOGI CYO Basketball
- Movie Night in the Park
- Easter Activity
- Memorial Day Parade
- Halloween Parade
- Food Drive: Food donations can also be dropped off at the Village Office and the Police and Fire Departments throughout the year.
- Summer Concert Series