Village of Green Island Trash and Recycling Program
(updated August 2020)
Beginning in 2008, the Village of Green Island implemented a new trash and recycling program that included supplying each homeowner with a refuse barrel at no cost. Homeowners are responsible for maintenance and/or replacement of barrel. Initial barrel and any replacement barrel remains property of the Village of Green Island. Homeowners may lease one additional barrel at a cost of $75 for a 95 gallon barrel or $70 for a 65 gallon barrel. Click HERE to download an order form. Replacement of lost or damaged barrels are at the expense of the homeowner. Please contact the Village Office at 518-273-2201 with any questions. Barrels may ONLY be used for non-recyclable household waste. The Village does not supply recycling bins.
Refuse barrel, recyclables and biodegradable lawn/leaf bags must be put at the curb outside your house the night before your regular pick up day (Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on street address). Please do not place your refuse out prior to 12 Noon the day before pick up.
Each individual housing unit that is assigned a barrel, that barrel is to be used by the inhabitants of said housing unit. Please be respectful and use only your own barrel.
Upon occasional need for excess garbage capacity, residents may purchase Village of Green Island approved stickered garbage bags at the Village Office at a cost of $2.00 each. These can be placed out with your regular weekly barrel pick-up.
Please click HERE for our complete Recycling Guidelines, including what CAN and CAN NOT be recycled. Recyclables are picked up on regular trash pick-up days.
The Village of Green Island also provides bulk pick-up for items that are not permitted to be disposed of in barrels or recycled. A list of such items and prices* can be found HERE.
Pick up of bulk items are on the FIRST and THIRD Thursday of each month, excluding holidays.
ITEMS CAN NOT BE PLACED OUT TO THE CURB UNTIL THE NIGHT BEFORE THE SCHEDULED PICKUP.
To be added to a scheduled pick-up:
- Residents must submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the request for pickup and must attach a description and picture(s) of the item(s) that they want picked up to the email. This email must be submitted at least 24 hours prior to the pickup date and time.
- We will review our bulk pickup fee schedule and decipher the cost for the item(s) to be picked up.
- Resident will be emailed back telling them the cost of the item(s) and that the resident must submit cash or check in the stated amount to the Village Office mailbox in an envelope with their name and address on it, before the pickup date. Residents can also pay online HERE (please note a service fee is applied to credit card payments).
- A list of the names, addresses and items to be picked up will be submitted to the Commissioner of Public Works before pickup.
- Payment must be received prior to DPW picking up the item(s).
- DPW will pick up on the first and third Thursday of every month, excluding holidays.
- All items must be from Green Island residences that receive regular curbside pickup already.
*Please note items and prices are subject to change
Pursuant to SECTION 97-3 of the VILLAGE OF GREEN ISLAND MUNICIPAL CODE, recycling is mandatory.