Click HERE to download the 2022 Tentative Roll for the Village of Green Island
2022 GRIEVANCE DAY INFORMATION
Due to the rising COVID-19 positivity rate, in large part due to new variants, changes have been made to the May 24, 2022, Grievance Day proceedings.
For 2022, applications will be accepted via e-mail, USPS mail, or hand delivered. All applications must be submitted by 8:00PM on Tuesday, May 24, 2022.
E-mailed applications and supporting information should be emailed to Maggie.Alix@villageofgreenisland.com. A receipt will be sent upon receipt.
USPS mailed applications must be received by May 24, 2022. A date stamped copy of the front page will be sent as a receipt. Post marked on May 24, but received after May 24, 2022, will NOT be considered timely filed.
Hand delivered applications can be delivered to the Village Office, 20 Clinton Street, Green Island, NY. A date stamped copy of the front page will be provided as a receipt. Applications must be submitted before 8:00PM on May, 24, 2022.
****All applicants will have an opportunity to present their application to the Board of Assessment Review (BAR); however it is not required. The meeting will be held virtually via ZOOM (meeting info below). You may participate by video conference or you may call in. If you would like to present your application to the BAR please include your phone number and/or email on the application. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment. Appointments will be scheduled between 4:00pm – 8:00pm, on Tuesday, May 24, 2022. Each applicant will be allowed 10mins. Directions can be provided, for assistance please contact Maggie Alix at 518-273-2201 or Maggie.Alix@villageofgreenisland.com. ****
The BAR’s determinations will be sent by USPS on or before July 1, 2022.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
If you have any questions please call Maggie Alix at 518-273-2201 or email Maggie.Alix@villageofgreenisland.com.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 883 8178 9255
To Call In
Meeting ID: 883 8178 9255#
20 Clinton Street
Green Island, NY 12183
Phone: (518) 273-2201
Fax: (518) 273-2235
The Assessor’s Office is responsible for assessing all town property and administering property tax exemptions. All property in the Village of Green Island is to be assessed at an equitable and uniform value. The Assessor will maintain fair, equitable and uniform property values that reflect changes in economic conditions and real estate values.
- Taxable Status Date: March 1
- Exemption Filing Deadline: March 1
- Tentative Assessment Roll Filed May 1
- Grievance Day is the 4th Tuesday in May
- Valuation Date July 1 (of previous year)
- Final Assessment Roll Filed July 1
Tax relief may be available for eligible applicants applying for any of the following major exemptions. All exemption applications must be filed on or before March 1.
The link to application forms for all exemptions can be found here: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/orpts/exemption.htm
1. Seniors – Senior citizens may be eligible for a partial exemption from Real Property Taxes if they meet income requirements and at least one of the owners named on the deed is 65 years of age during the calendar year (January 1 – December 31). Please have the following information with you when you apply: proof of age, executed copy of income tax (if filed), Social Security benefit statements, statements of wages, pensions, interest, dividends, capital gains, nontaxable interest and rental or alimony if applicable. This application must be renewed by March 1 of each year. If you are eligible for a senior exemption you will automatically receive the Enhanced Star exemption.
RP-467 – Application For Partial Tax Exemption For Real Property Of Senior Citizens (And For Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption). Click here to download form.
RP-467 Rnw – Renewal Application For Partial Tax Exemption For Real Property Of Senior Citizens (And For Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption) Click here to download form.
RP-467 Ins – Instructions For The Application For Partial Tax Exemption For Real Property Of Senior Citizens (And For Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption) Click here to download form.
2. Veterans – Veterans who served during defined periods of war may be eligible for an exemption on a residential property that they own and occupy. Surviving spouses of a veteran may also be eligible to apply. This exemption does not affect school taxes but may be applied to village and county taxes. If eligible you may receive a 15% reduction of the property’s assessed value and if combat duty can be documented, an additional 10% will be applied. If the veteran received a service-connected disability rating, one-half of the disability rating will be added to the exemption.
RP-458-A – Application for Alternative Veterans Exemption From Real Property Taxation. Click here to download the form.
Rp-458-A Ins – Instructions For Application for Alternative Veterans Exemption From Real Property. Click here to download the form.
3. The School Tax Relief (STAR) program offers property tax relief to eligible New York State homeowners. If you are eligible and enrolled in the STAR program, you’ll receive your benefit each year in one of two ways:
- STAR credit check. If you are registered for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will send you a STAR check in the mail each year. You can use the check to pay your school taxes. You can receive the STAR credit if you own your home and it’s your primary residence and the combined income of the owners and the owners’ spouses is $500,000 or less. Click HERE to register for the STAR Credit.
- STAR exemption: a reduction on your school tax bill. If you’ve been receiving the STAR exemption since 2015, you can continue to receive it for the same primary residence. As long as you remain eligible, you’ll see a reduction on your school tax bill for the amount of your STAR exemption. Note: The STAR exemption is no longer available to new homeowners.
- To apply for the Enhanced STAR exemption submit the following forms, along with proof of income to the assessor:
What To Do If You Disagree With Your Assessment
Link – https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/contest/contestasmt.htm
Grievance Day is the 4th Tuesday in May.
Forms – https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/orpts/assessment_grievance.htm
RP-524 – NYS Board of Real Property Services Complaint On Real Property Assessment
RP-524 Ins – Instructions For The NYS Board of Real Property Services Complaint On Real Property Assessment