Brad Canning, Assessor email@example.com
20 Clinton Street
Green Island, NY 12183
Phone: (518) 273-2201
Fax: (518) 273-2235
Assessor Office Hours: Wednesdays and Thursdays 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and evenings by appointment
The Assessor’s Office is responsible for assessing all town property and administering property tax exemptions. All property in the Village of Green Island is to be assessed at an equitable and uniform value. The Assessor will maintain fair, equitable and uniform property values that reflect changes in economic conditions and real estate values.
- Taxable Status Date: March 1
- Exemption Filing Deadline: March 1
Click here to see the Exemption Renewal Notice
Assessment Change Notices
- Mailed by March 1
- Tentative Assessment Roll Filed May 1
- Grievance Day is the 1st Wednesday after the 4th Tuesday in May
- Valuation Date July 1 (of previous year)
- Final Assessment Roll Filed July 1
Tax relief may be available for eligible applicants applying for any of the following major exemptions. All exemption applications must be filed on or before March 1.
The link to application forms for all exemptions can be found here: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/orpts/exemption.htm
1. Seniors – Senior citizens may be eligible for a partial exemption from Real Property Taxes if they meet income requirements and at least one of the owners named on the deed is 65 years of age during the calendar year (January 1 – December 31). Please have the following information with you when you apply: proof of age, executed copy of income tax (if filed), Social Security benefit statements, statements of wages, pensions, interest, dividends, capital gains, nontaxable interest and rental or alimony if applicable. This application must be renewed by March 1 of each year. If you are eligible for a senior exemption you will automatically receive the Enhanced Star exemption.
2. Veterans – Veterans who served during defined periods of war may be eligible for an exemption on a residential property that they own and occupy. Surviving spouses of a veteran may also be eligible to apply. This exemption does not affect school taxes but may be applied to village and county taxes. If eligible you may receive a 15% reduction of the property’s assessed value and if combat duty can be documented, an additional 10% will be applied. If the veteran received a service-connected disability rating, one-half of the disability rating will be added to the exemption.
3. Basic STAR – The Basic STAR exemption is for all owner-occupied residents with an income that does not exceed $500,000. The application must be completed and returned to the Assessor’s Office by March 1. The Basic STAR applications do not have to be renewed.
4. Enhanced STAR – The Enhanced STAR exemption is for all owner-occupied residents that are at least 65 years of age with an adjusted gross income below $79,050, excluding income from IRA distributions. The application must be completed and returned to the Assessor’s Office along with proof of age, residency and a copy of their prior year’s federal income tax return. These applications must be renewed by March 1 of each year.
RP-467 – Application For Partial Tax Exemption For Real Property Of Senior Citizens (And For Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption)
RP-467 Rnw – Renewal Application For Partial Tax Exemption For Real Property Of Senior Citizens (And For Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption)
RP-467 Ins – Instructions For The Application For Partial Tax Exemption For Real Property Of Senior Citizens (And For Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption)
RP-458-A – Application for Alternative Veterans Exemption From Real Property Taxation
Rp-458-A Ins – Instructions For Application for Alternative Veterans Exemption From Real Property
- Basic / Enhanced Star
- RP-425 – Application for School Tax Relief (STAR) Exemption
What To Do If You Disagree With Your Assessment
Link – https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/contest/contestasmt.htm
Grievance Day is the 4th Tuesday in May.
Forms – https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/orpts/assessment_grievance.htm
RP-524 – NYS Board of Real Property Services Complaint On Real Property Assessment
RP-524 Ins – Instructions For The NYS Board of Real Property Services Complaint On Real Property Assessment